Sunday, December 1, 2013

Ragnar 2013!

About a year ago, my brother in law {Paul} was talking about doing the Las Vegas Ragnar in November. I have wanted to do it for a very long time and at that point I was pregnant and told him I'd like to run it too. So, he said "lets do it." ME being the super SWEET & loving wife volunteered my sweet husband to run, too. His response: "only if I can bring Soncho to ride." He wasn't kidding either, we didn't think much about it though, until quite a few months later his brother called and told us he is signing us up & that all of Chris siblings & most of the spouses would be running as well. We decided we needed new running shoes to start training. Chris didn't really even own any sort of tennis shoes, and my running shoes were getting too old and were still blistering my feet on long runs. So, we went to an official running store to get evaluated to find the best shoe for our feet. We decided it was time to train...Chris and I ran together ONCE, we went about 3 miles and by the end of the run I was done running with him. :) He could keep a quicker pace than me and I had been training. I kept training I would run a couple nights a week, it was nice for me to go because it was my little break to be by myself and think. I definitely found a new love for running. Also, I had been very anxious about running because I had never left Kinley before, my mom was coming to take care of her but she would not take a bottle. My mom told me Kinley would be okay, but they would have to meet us every couple hours so I could nurse her so she could eat! Well, it was getting closer and Chris ended up quite sick, he had a terrible cold and wasn't sleeping well at nights. He would get sneeze / cough attacks but he assured every one he would be okay.
This was us heading to the first major exchange!

Our team name is the HEAT is ON. love it.


our van!

Our van wasn't running for a bit so we played a lot! :)




doing yoga right before Chris' first leg!!

My sweetie! he was all ready to go!

right before he took off.

Chris, Kathryn, and Matt

Chris did AWESOME on his run, might I add he had really only ran once prior to running Raganr. Chris would hand off to me and it was getting pretty chilly, but I was excited. My first leg was my shortest but it was somewhat hard for some reason. The last mile was next to a busy road and uphill, I started not to feel too well and then I smelt someone cooking Hamburgers and I dry heaved so hard & loud I probably grossed out the person behind me! ew!

after my first leg.

--- 
That night was kind of a blur we met up at a major exchange with the other van, it was fun to see them and hang out for a bit. 
I was freeeeezing!


my mom was driving me to the next exchange so I could feed Kinley, we needed gas so we went off in the middle of the night trying to find a station. My phone took us to some strange town in the hills of Nevada that did have one single pump but it was turned off. There were WILD donkeys! I asked my mom "where are we??!" haha anyway, she stopped to try to get this picture, while she was trying to take it another donkey thought we were trying to feed and it was inches from sticking it's big head in our car. I screamed and my mom slammed on the gas and peeled out. Maybe because it was late at night but we were cracking up. Oh, it was such a good time.


I ran my second leg around 2:30 AM, I was tired but I told myself I would be positive and have a good time and run as fast as my legs would let me. I was feeling really really good, I did run a quarter mile through a sketchy park that made me super nervous so I took my ear phones out to listen just incase anyone was coming up behind me. ;) I kept seeing cop cars patrolling, which I was grateful for but it didn't help my suspicion that I wasn't in the best area. Anyway, I kept going and when I finished I felt like I could keep on going. It was such a high and when I got done I realized my baby was in the car still awake and my husband wasn't feeling too great. So we decided we would go back to the hotel to sleep for a little and rest up for our long and last runs the next day. On the way to the hotel I started feeling worse, I started coughing, had a sore throat and my tummy hurt. We got to the hotel and Chris got in the tub and then we went to sleep, when we woke up the next morning we were both so sore we could hardly walk. We were NOT excited to run 7+ miles on jello legs. :)

We took these while waiting for Sarah to run we were right by lake Mead and it was BEAUTIFUL!
 I loved it.

waiting for aunt sarah!!

here she is! Matt ran with her for a little bit, she was doing great!

not sure when this was but Sarah looks cute!

It was Chris' turn to run and he was so sick & some muscles in his feet were really bothering him but he had a good attitude. 
We met him along the course and it killed me a little bit to watch him in pain and not feeling well and going such a long distance, but he is awesome and kept going. While we waited for him to finish and then me to take off running I hadn't ate anything but crackers, my stomach was very upset and Kinley was screaming and I was not excited to take off on such a long run. But, the time came and I was off! 
I started my run off with a big switch back mountain and I thought "well this is hard, but as soon as I get this mountain over with i'll be okay." wrong. I ran switch backs up several mountains for more than HALF of my run. I was keeping as positive as I could, I kept telling myself my mind is stronger than my body. 


I kept thinking how beautiful this area is and how lucky I am to be seeing this sunset, I started feeling tired only about 3 miles into these switch backs and Chris text me and told me I was his hero and that he loves me. That got me going again and motivated me to finish and be done. :)

I was going to text this to him, but I decided
 I need to keep going rather than let texting slow me down. :)

I was 4 miles in and I could see my family waiting for me!!! I was so excited then when I went to talk to them I had lost all my breath, I started to panic a little realizing I needed oxygen. I remember thinking in through my nose out through my mouth and once I calmed down I was okay. Chris hobbled over to check on me, I was so glad he was there.  Chris' siblings and the spouses / cousins made a little bridge and I kept going. I was so thankful to see them, it motivated me to finish. After that point I was still having a very hard time breathing I had to keep reminding myself how to breath to keep going. Then I could see a car pulled over and out came Paul! He came and ran a little ways with me and gave me some water, he said he would meet me and run the last mile + with me. Once I saw paul I knew I was getting close, he paced me my last mile and a half. 

Paul & I almost to the finish line!

after we crossed getting a hug!

I was so grateful my beautiful mama was there to see me cross the finish,
 I never worried the times we were away about Kinley, I knew she was in great hands! 

We're done!!! 187 miles total!!!


our whole team (except Dallin)


 
---

We both went to the doctor after ragnar & we both ran with bronchitis! yikes. We are so grateful we were able to participate and especially to bond with the family..... until next time!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment